Tuesday 20 July 2010

The story of Joe Cole and Liverpool FC


First and foremost, I'm a Spurs fan. So the thought of Joe Cole in a Liverpool shirt next season really does grind my gears (much to the delight of my Liverpool supporting friends). It was one of the long winding transfer sagas of the window so far, second only to the Cesc Fabregas potentially joining Barcelona story which, as a Spurs fan, I REALLY hope happens!

We all know Cole was linked with the likes of Spurs, Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, AC Milan, Inter Milan and, eventual suitors, Liverpool and we all know he was only going to move for footballing reasons despite the apparent £90,000 a week wage demand. So, in my opinion, a move to Liverpool is perfect for him. In Roy Hodgson, he has a manager perfectly suited to get the best out of his players and great man management skills and he will utilise him to his full potential. I was thinking about this today and with Cole now added to the Liverpool squad, I can see Liverpool being a threat again next season.

Don't laugh straight away, think about it. I believe Hodgson will stick to the 4-2-3-1 formation primarily because he has too. With Torres and N'gog the only recognised strikers, although at a push I would add Babel and Kuyt to that list, so potentially his first team could look like this:

Reina

Johnson
Skrtel
Carragher
Agger

Lucas
Mascherano

Cole
Gerrard
Kuyt

Torres

Obviously, this relies on Gerrard and Torres both staying and being fit but that is a great line up in my opinion and with Hodgson at the helm, the 2010/11 could be a great one for Liverpool, maybe not title winning, but potentially one that gets them back to the Champions League. Just going to have to wait and see what happens with them next season but Champions League football could be back at Anfield as early as 2011.

Right, I need sleep cos I have work at midday.

Laters,
Macca

1 comment:

  1. Hi Macca,

    I can't say that i agree with you when you say that with cole Liverpool will become a threat.

    The fact of the matter is that Joe Cole has been a straight swap for Yossi Benayoun, they both play in the same position and they both play in the same way. So really I do not believe that Liverpool will be any more of a threat than they were last year. Having said that i think Liverpool massively under achieved last year and because they are not in the Champions league this year there is more chance of both Gerrard and Torres staying fit, which was not the case last year.

    The bottom line is that if Chelsea were to have offered Liverpool money plus Joe Cole for Yossi Benayoun they would have been fools to turn that down, so Joe Cole to Liverpool is a good move.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I enjoy football as much as I do writing about it.